At Golden Alternate School we expect to work and learn in a safe, caring, and respectful environment. Therefore, students and adults will conduct themselves appropriately in consideration of the rights we all possess while going to and from school and while attending any school function that occurs in any location.
- Students and Staff accept and include each other in learning
- We refrain from conduct that is hurtful to ourselves, others, or our shared spaces
- We ensure that others feel safe, respected, and comfortable in the learning environment.
- We do not tolerate discrimination on any of the following grounds: Race, colour, ancestry, place of origin, religion, marital status, family status, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, age, or gender identity and expression.
- We maintain respect for the principle that everyone can learn and that learning happens at different rates.
- We act responsibly and understand that consequences are natural outcomes of all our choices. We capitalize on the learning from all of our choices.
- Acceptable behaviour demonstrates compassion, empathy, and respect for each other.
- Unacceptable behaviour includes, but is not limited to, bullying, cyberbullying, harassment, intimidation, or threatening and violent behaviour.
- We act and learn in ways that build on each other's strengths
- We respond to mistakes and unexpected behaviour with restorative plans that focus on growth and learning from our mistakes rather than on punishment.
- In situations where breaches of this code are repetitive or seriously egregious, other progressive discipline options will be considered.
- We consider the developmental stage of each child in our response to unexpected behaviour. Students with special needs may need further supports and interventions to be able to comply with aspects of our code of conduct and prevent similar future behaviours.